Monday, 9 November 2015

Narrative Structure

Some the theories films use are:

Todorov- Equilibrium

The narrative begins where the world is normal and there is no issues.

Then, there is a disruption to the equilibrium.

The characters realise there is a problem.

They attempt to restore order.

A new equilibrium is created.

Propp- Characters

There is always several characters in a film. There are:

The Hero- a character that seeks something
The Villian- who opposes the hero's quest
The Donor- provides an object with magical powers
The Princess- acts as a reward for the hero
The False Hero- a character who is perceived as a hero but isn't
The Dispatcher- sends the hero on a quest
The Helper- someone who aids the hero

Barthes- Codes

Action Code- an action which implies further narrative action
Enigma Code- mystery within, no clear answers
Semantic Code- suggests additional meaning
Symbolic Code- exercises opposites to highlight contrast
Referential Code- scientific/historical/cultural knowledge

Levi-Strauss- Binary Opposites

There is always at least two opposing ideas
E.g. Boy Vs. Girl
   War Vs. Peace
   Young Vs. Old
   Good Vs. Evil



I have seen this film before, so i was able to link it to the rest of the film.


I have never seen The Graduate, so everything I noted from just from watching the opening sequence.

Learning Comments:

I have learnt about some of the film theories, which many films use. I have learnt that within the first few minutes in the film, many things are often established. This includes a range of characters, including the protagonist, and their personalities, the location and it sets up the rest of the narrative. In order for the film to be clear to the audience, the characters must be strong within the first few minutes, otherwise, it can become confusing for the audience. Also, you may find that the beginning foreshadows the rest of the plot of the film, with subtle hints in dialogue, or in location. However, in some instances, including The Graduate, they deliberately do not establish some of these things, to create a hook for the audience. I need to keep this in mind when creating my opening sequence, and follow some of the theories to create an effective opening sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment